Thursday, 3 September 2015

Melancholy Musings

Last Friday I posted an item on Facebook that started like this: "this was one of those perfect days where everything comes together in a very nice way".

And today I find that a sense of melancholy has entered my soul.  It's not unusual for people to have this feeling as summer ends and winter approaches but for me, it is very unusual.  Summer is my least favourite season.  Both winter and autumn vie for top spot as I prefer the cooler temperatures and there is something supremely satisfying about having the wood stove going.

So why is the end of this summer bringing on this state of melancholy?

Maybe it's because it was so incredible.

The bobolink worked filled my days in May and June.  Searching for nests, surveying new locations, banding and attaching geolocators.  The time flew by.
 
female bobolink
  
bobolink nestlings

And then there was my anti-shrike force field, that thing that prevents me from seeing a shrike despite living in an area known to be one of the few areas in Ontario where this endangered bird breeds.  Where others would claim to see a shrike on a regular basis, I saw none.  


That force field took a hiatus this year and allowed me to see and have access to more shrikes than I ever thought possible. First, there was the shrike that, apparently, only I could see.  Thank goodness I had photographic evidence.
evidence of "my" shrike

Then in August, I was given the opportunity to feed the captive bred shrikes that were moved up here in preparation for their release into the wild.  It wasn't quite as exciting as I thought it would be as you aren't supposed to make eye contact with the birds when you are in the cage.  It's hard to check out a bird when you aren't supposed to look at it.

Count out 15 tablespoons of mealworms, 30 super mealworms and 75 crickets.  The mealworms, both regular and super, were easy but have you ever tried counting crickets?  They never stop hopping!

Then, even better, the pre-release check when the birds are actually in hand and you can get a good look at them.  They are gorgeous!
 
receiving the pre-release antibiotics; look at the gorgeous mottling on the head
Finally, best of all, there is the release itself when you can't help but wonder how the birds feel when they are finally able to stretch their wings completely.  It's a great big world out there.
out of the cage

contemplating the great outside

Today, though, the field cabin was closed for the last time this season.  The bobolink folks are long gone. After joining me on a hike in QE2 Provincial Park, the shrike field biologist packed up her car and has left the area.  
Queen Elizabeth 2 Wildlands Provincial Park

And so, the melancholy has arrived.

After an ice cream and a final goodbye, I decided to head into town to get gas for the car and chips and beer to make me feel better. 

If these things don't work, I simply have to remind myself that I'm living in an area I love and I'm doing work that I love and I have finally found a place where I belong.  The hummingbirds are still entertaining.  When they are gone, the seed feeders will be hung out again and the blue jays, woodpeckers and chickadees will return, keeping me busy until spring when the next bobolink, shrike and hummingbird seasons begin again.
five on the feeder

Life is great!



1 comment:

  1. Aw I love this blog, Ginny! Carden is a really lovely place and I look forward to staying in touch with you through reading about your continued experiences there until I can visit again and have some more of my own. Thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete